Natural Stone

History

The Gizzi and Westphal Naturstein GmbH
was created in August 2007 by once again amalgamating the skills of stonemason and qualified restorer Andreas Westphal of Berlin and terrazzo manufacturer and business man Max Gizzi of Hamburg. Long time experience, comprehensive expertise and excellent national and international contacts make Gizzi & Westphal Naturstein GmbH a competent partner when building with natural stone.


1914
Daniel Gizzi (Photo from 1939) founded the company in the city of Kiel, employing three Italian "Terrazieri", a German stonemason, a sales man and several labourers.

1918
The company is being merged with Kunststeinwerk Möller and relocated to Hamburg - Neuland forming Möller & Gizzi.

1931
Building of a factory for terrazzo and artificial stone and stonemasonry Gizzi in Schlachthofstrasse in Hamburg - Harburg. The company is offering all types of stone masonry and terrazzo work to public and private clients with no limitations to what kind or size of work is required.

1943
The factory in Harburg is damaged through allied bombing. A new factory is being built in Hamburg - Neugraben.

1950 Onwards
Under Josef Gizzi Kunststeinwerk Gizzi is becoming the market leader for artificial stone and ready made concrete products in the shire of Harburg and Hamburg - Harburg. The company is offering all types of stone masonry and terrazzo work and the supply of ready made concrete products to public and private clients no with no limitations to what kind or size of work is required.

1979
Max Gizzi is joining M. Gizzi & Co, Hamburg.

1980
Andreas Westphal is joining the "Stuna" - VEB Stuck und Naturstein. The company is the government owned supplier of stone masonry and stucco work in East Berlin and doing comprehensive restoration works at the Museumsinsel Berlin.

1989
Joint Venture of M. Gizzi & Co and VEB Stuck und Naturstein to supply and fit natural and artificial stone products at building sites of Airbus Industries in Hamburg - Finkenwerder, Hannover and Lüneburg.

1990
Foundation of Museumsbauhütte Berlin, for a time the largest stone masonry of the reunited Berlin and located at the Museumsinsel Berlin, next to the old National Gallery, to perform restoration works.

1992
The Museumsbauhütte is being relocated to Berlin - Marzahn moving into premises comprising of large yards and factories. The company is offering all types of stone masonry and terrazzo work to public and private clients with no limitations to what kind or size of work is required (see references).

1997
The suffering of substantial financial losses through the supply and fitting of the stone facade of the Luxury Hotel Adlon in Berlin leads to the insolvency of the Museumsbauhütte.

1998
Andreas Westphal is joining the Stuna again, this time as a director.

2001 Onwards
Cooperation of Max Gizzi and Andreas Westphal at various building projects like the Italian and Spanish Embassies in Berlin, the Memorial for socialists at the main cemetery Berlin - Friedrichsfelde, the Carrossa Quartier at Hausvogteiplatz/Berlin and the Axel Springer Haus in Berlin - Kreuzberg.

2007
Foundation of Gizzi & Westphal Naturstein GmbH with its head office being in Hamburg - Neugraben and an engineering office in Woltersdorf near Berlin.